[olug] Tonight's meeting

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 20:14:47 UTC 2007

i am working on a presentation for alternative firmware for SOHO firewalls
with a focus on dd-wrt.

Afterall,  today is dd-wrt's creator BrainSlayer's BirthDay!

i will be bringing Buffalo and Linksys wireless routers installed with
DD-WRT and some unflashed fon.com routers.   If time, i will flash one back
to Linksys firmware and then run through the staging to install dd-wrt.  If
anyone has a wireless router they want to run a very small risk of flashing
with dd-wrt, then please bring it.  If your router is "bricked", then you
may have an expensive paperweight, but that has not happened to me.  A list
of supported hardware can be found here:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

If you have LinkSys wrt-54g with a serial # that starts with CDFA, then you
have a good router for this project.  Since the newer routers have less RAM,
dd-wrt has a micro-edition for these.  BrainSlayer recommends Buffalo
branded routers - the last i heard anyway.

An example of why alternative firmwares can be so much better and even more
secure than the factory firmware.

There probably will not be enough time to flash the fon.com routers (that
can take 10 minutes just for the reflash), but i will bringing 1 or 2 in
case there is interest.