[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Oct 19 15:25:31 UTC 2007

>>> I don't think DHCP servers are required to maintain databases.
>>
>> Sure they are.  That's how they know which addresses are available
>> to be handed out.
>
> They *could* just use ICMP to check every time.

If you haven't listed to anything that's been written the last few
days, then there's no point in me stating it again.

>> When two DHCP servers both operate in the same IP space, they must
>> know about each other and their their database.  This functionality
>> is built into the ISC DHCP server to handle redundant pairs.
>
> The RFC says they MUST?

Common sense says they must, because if they don't, then they each might
hand out the same IP to different clients, and that would be bad.  There
is no other reliable way for them to determine which addresses are in use.