[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Oct 15 17:39:25 UTC 2007

On 10/15/07, Jason Troy <jason.troy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've attempted to use OpenVPN a couple of years ago - not a great
> experience. (is it better now?)

Without knowing what problems you ran into, I can't say.  I've been
using it for some years now, and I've always had great luck with it.
Rock solid, excellent security model, very easy to use, and fully open
source.  I rank it right up with IPSec as one of the two best VPN
choices available today.

> Hamachi - which was bought / maintained by logmein works great and breaks
> right through NATed spaces.
> https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

I've heard and read about Hamachi a good bit, but the fact that
OpenVPN has worked so well for me, and is fully open source, has left
me no reason to bother with Hamachi.  The fact that, especially
earlier on, the guy behind Hamachi was rather closed about the details
of the protocol and underlying security turned me off, too (he's since
released more details and I've heard it's fairly reasonable now).

> Oh - and it works of course w/Linux and has a free version.

OpenVPN is fully cross-platform as well.

--
Christopher