[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Oct 15 04:34:48 UTC 2007

On 10/14/07, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not a direct Linux question (but an indirect one).
>
> I used to use vncviewer (TIghtVNC on Linux) to jump on a friend's Windows computer (which has TightVNC server installed)
> to help him when Windows is doing "funny things".

Is he using Qwest Cable Modem, or Qwest DSL?

I don't know about their DSL, but for their cable modem service, they
assign private (10.0.0.0/8) addresses, and NAT them to the internet.
However, they will assign a static IP (at no additional charge, last I
checked) for use in remote access/VPN/etc.  They do block some ports
inbound,though.  I don't; know the exact list, but it's along the
lines of 21, 80, and 443 (to discourage running servers, although in
this age of P2P, I think you'd see less bandwidth use allowing those
ports than you'll see on P2P ports).

> However, since he switched from COX to Qwest 'vncviewer' no longer works.  I'm not even able to ping his IP.

This is what made me wonder if it's Qwest Cable Modem.

> Any ideas?

Can he reach you?  If so, an alternative might be running VNC over
something like OpenVPN.  That will increase the security, and give you
full connectivity between the machines over a single open port.

--
Christopher