[olug] Best Linux media center program

Christopher White slaeyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:16:02 UTC 2007

I'll throw my hat into this ring and add that I personally softmod all
my xboxes!  It's quicker and easier than hardmodding it!

To use XBMC, you must have a modded xbox, either through the use of a
modchip or
a softmod.

The advantages of a modchip are that you can use any HD  you like to
replace the
stock HD (softmodding requires a lockable drive, support varies by
manuf.), ability to add additional hardware (lcd screens, upgraded CPU
/ RAM,
etc.), but they cost an average of $50 plus patience to install.

While a softmod lacks many of these advantages, it gains over a modchip in the
fact that no soldering or opening of the xbox is required to enable
the softmod,
and it's free software.  You will need a original copy of one of 3 games
(Mechassult, 007 Agent under fire or Splinter Cell if memory serves) as well as
the softmod installer for your game on a memory card to transfer to the xbox.
Installation is as simple as running the game, select the gamesave (softmod
installer) and follow the directions till finished.

Once installed, most features of a hardware modchip work with the softmod, boot
code checking is disabled, ability to run homebrew and "backups", and depending
on the dashboard you chose during install, there is usually an ftp
server on the
xbox now.  From there, you can move over homebrew software such as emulators,
xbmc, homebrew games, etc.

One major caveat of xbox homebrew is how it's compiled.  Typically, devs use
either homebrew compilers which lack major features of the official MS
XDK (xbox
dev kit), thus limiting the features available to the devs, or they use pirated
/ hacked versions of the MS XDK, thus making their software illegal in compiled
form.  Compiled software is often reportedly found in "the usual
places" online,
which can be quite confusing if you don't know where those places are.  "The
usual places" typically refers to irc.efnet.net #xbins to request a user / pass
for an ftp server or bittorrent.  I recommend using T3CH's xbmc compilations as
they are typically less bug prone than other versions.

Links:
http://xboxmediacenter.net - xbox media center official site
http://xbox-scene.com - xbox hacking scene
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/228232 - Ultimate softmod howto
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203286 - howto upgrade softmod xbox
HD
http://forums.afterdawn.com - thousands of posts concerning hacking of
all kind,
excellent search tools!

I've got all the software / hardware needed to softmod an xbox if anybody needs
something specific.  Also, your modded xbox will still play all games, just no
more xbox live.

Hope that helped ya,
Chris from Kearney

P.S. I posted from a different email account cuz Charter is currently
blocking Olug.org due to spam concerns?!?!??!?!