[olug] Misc. hardware.......... - dedicated list?

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Oct 4 19:18:59 UTC 2007

> 1) spam spam spam -- especially with phpBB

Spam's not a problem if you restrict posting to only members, and then
put a decent CAPTCHA algorithm in place of the stock one.  I only get
a couple per quarter that make it through.

> 2) security vulnerabilities -- especially with phpBB

I've never had a problem by using the current version from the Ubuntu
deb repository.  I've never had an official update break anything.

As with any application, you ought to know what you're doing if you
expect the app to run smoothly.

> 3) sifting through taken stuff

Presumably, the last post in any thread would state that something
was taken -- or not, if it was still available.  The original poster
can also edit the subject line later on to indicate that everything
is gone.  Also, expiring threads that haven't had any activity in a
specified time period isn't difficult.

I frequent one site (the IFSJA) that has a very busy for sale forum.
So busy, in fact, that they split FS and Wanted into separate forums.
Most people there think that that format works quite well.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion.  My "computer hardware" forum on
forums.jedi.com is already there if anybody wants to use it.