[olug] MPAA toolkit

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 20:35:09 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 2:04 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Obi-Wan wrote:
> > At work, our employees are responsible for everything that's done
> > using their username.  If they walk away from a computer without
> > logging out, and somebody else walks up and surfs porn, the person
> > owning the username will get fired.
>
> Will that hold up in court if they file for unemployment?

As long as the company has clear computer use policies and employees
are aware of those policies, then the company is covered vs litigation
if they fire someone.  In "at-will" states like Nebraska a fired
employee has very little recourse if fired unless he is either a)
covered by some sort of union CBA, or b) able to show that his
termination was unlawful due to the Civil Rights acts (typically VII.)

As far as filing for unemployment goes, the unemployment office
doesn't really care what the circumstances of your firing was, they
just want to know if it was for cause or not.  If not you can collect
benefits immediately, if it was you have to wait something like 3
weeks.

Bill