[olug] MPAA toolkit

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Nov 28 17:02:23 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Will Langford wrote:
>> As far as I know, ISP's do keep track of when a person was
>> connected...
>
> Even if they do, this doesn't guarantee that IP's user is the customer.
> The most obvious case is a drive-by wireless user.
> I'm not aware of any law requiring us to log everyone who uses our network.

Not a law, but I bet if you read the fine print on your subscription
agreement, you'll see that you're responsible for all traffic that
comes from your connection.  It's then up to you whether you want to
take steps to secure your network or suffer the consequences of a
black hat parked on your curb.

At work, our employees are responsible for everything that's done
using their username.  If they walk away from a computer without
logging out, and somebody else walks up and surfs porn, the person
owning the username will get fired.