[olug] sed issues inside of a script

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Nov 14 01:06:48 UTC 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 4:57 PM, John Hobbs <john at velvetcache.org> wrote:
> As a related aside, is there a good document with best practices for
> shell scripting?  My Google prowess failed me on that aspect. A book
> would do as well.  I've just sorta picked this stuff up along the way
> and I'd like to read over the "right" ways to do things.

I'd start with the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide[0].  It's quite
thorough, well, organized, and will provide you with everything you
need to go far with shell scripting.  I think I remember hearing once
that if you were to print out the entire thing, it would come to over
800 pages!  (It's also free and hosted at the Linux Documentation
Project.)

As supplementals, if you really want to go crazy with shell scripting
and more, I'd also highly recommend O'Reilly's "Sed & Awk" and
"Mastering Regular Expressions".  ORA's "Linux in a Nutshell" is also
an extremely underrated book for shell scrpters (half the trick to
effective shell scripting is knowing what tools and commands you have
available to make use of).

 [0] http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

--
Christopher