[olug] Fwd: Google Video Alert - one laptop per child

Jeroen Cranendonk olug at jscwebdesign.nl
Tue Nov 13 16:47:28 UTC 2007

On Tue November 13 2007, Luke -Jr wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2007, Rob Townley wrote:
> > -screen will be more readable in the sun than any laptop - OLPC could
> > subsidize the project by licensing this technology to all other laptop
> > vendors.  Anybody tried reading outside on battery power.
>
> Ever had a GameBoy? LCDs can be either back-lit, or reflective. Backlit
> LCDs generally have the problem you're referring to. Reflective LCDs just
> reflect light coming in. That's why GameBoys *require* an external light
> and work great in the sun.

(First time poster here; hello, OLUG!)
I believe the interesting thing about the OLPC's screen is not that it is just
a reflective LCD, but that it's a combination back-lit/reflective display.
Additionally, in reflective mode the screen works at a higher resolution
(1200x900), but only in grayscale.
For more specs, see the OLPC wiki:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification#Display . It's got tons of
interesting stuff. I myself are pretty interested in the software,
specifically the GUI.

Jeroen Cranendonk

--
PGP public key: