[olug] [OT] Drive copy utilities?

Adam Lassek adam.lassek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:18:04 UTC 2007

Clonezilla is an excellent solution for windows and linux machines with some
caveats.

When you clone a windows system with Clonezilla, it uses Ntfsclone which is
very fast, and only copies the data rather than the entire filesystem. It is
possible to automatically change hostname and SID but it requires setting up
a DRBL-Winroll server which I do not have experience doing. You can upload
images to another server several different ways, including Samba share, SSH
or FTP. The only problem I have run into is that occasionally if you clone a
system with a partition that spans the full size of the disk it will cause
errors when you deploy the image to another drive, even if it is the same
size. Resizing the partition with parted prevents this from happening.

For non-NTFS partitions it uses PartImage.