[olug] Introduction

Matthew Platte 51 at triopticon.com
Thu May 10 22:45:44 UTC 2007

Hi Luke,

Disclaimer: I'm not a /real/ pirate; I'm more like what you'd call a
sysadmin hobbyist.

On May 10, 2007, at 4:59 PM, roberson at olug.org wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:25:00PM -0500, Luke -Jr wrote:
>> ter than their ISPs!)
>>
>> <olug at olug.org>: host mail.olug.org[198.70.254.115] said: 554
>> 5.7.1 Service
>>     unavailable; Client host [24.31.250.242] blocked using
>>     dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net; Dynamic IP Addresses See:
>>     http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?24.31.250.242

> CPE-24-31-250-242.kc.res.rr.com[24.31.250.242]: blocked by
> dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net;

Following the link to sorbs.net and reading in the FAQ:

> ...all outgoing mail from dynamically assigned address space (and
> in a few cases even from statically assigned space) should be made
> to flow through the mail server(s) of the Internet service provider
> in question.

Sounds like sorbs.net would prefer that mail from dashjr.org flow
through the mail servers at kc...rr.com.  Assuming I'm not too dense/
ignorant, this raises the question:  Would RoadRunner accept outgoing
mail from the dashjr.org server?  If RR won't forward the mail, why
not sign up with an ISP that will?

I ask because I've never understood the attraction for the dynamic
route (dyndns.org, etc.) yet there are quite a few folks who choose
that. To me it seems like an extra layer of hassle, another thing
that will break randomly during the Big Presentation, and saves
little or no money.

--
Matthew Platte
51 at triopticon.com