[olug] mail services

Travis Owens openbook1441 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:24:44 UTC 2007

Paul,

There are many ways this could be done and I will offer ideas/help if
you want; however, I would offer a suggestion that might make this
easier--if the "clients" are family/friends, then I don't think you
would actually need a personal server for this (especially the costs
associated with adequate bandwith to make it work and not be painful)

I would suggest teaching them Yahoo! mail or Gmail.  Both have great
interfaces and brilliant filtering solutions. They are well
maintained, improving constantly. They're on blazing connections and
are popular enough not to be blocked anywhere (i.e. spam filters, or
network proxies--if one were to access it from a library or something)
 This is just a suggestion, and I believe it would be much easier to
teach them to use one of those services, rather than building your own
custom mail server solution and then teaching them to use it. (client
or webmail)

Let me know if you're still needing help on the custom server.

Travis

On 3/20/07, Paul & Debbie Lewis <phldml3 at cox.net> wrote:
> All,
>
>     I've read the briefing off of the OLUG site about mail services, but I
> need some more basic information.  What I'd like to do is build a "mail
> server" that would pull e-mail from multiple service providers clear spam,
> virus, and junk mail.  After that is completed, my clients could retrieve
> their e-mail from my e-mail server rather then their ISP service.  Impetus
> behind this is my parents have a dial up service back in Ohio (there getting
> up in years and don't want to pay for high speed internet), but their ISP
> has limited spam and AV protection.  I'm wondering if I could set up a
> service here to fill in that need for them.  While I'm thinking of it can
> you use a similar system to pull e-mails from say a Yahoo.com e-mail
> service.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Travis Owens

VISTA is just a secret codeword that Microsoft thought up which
actually stands for: Viruses, Intruders, Spy-ware, Trojans & Ad-ware