[olug] Firewall + NAS Backup

Bradley Arth brad.arth at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:09:30 UTC 2007

I have never used any form of firewall at home, unless you count my little
router. At any rate, I have been getting a lot of ports being scanned
recently and thought I would grab an old desktop and put linux on it and
have it be my firewall/router. I currently am most familiar with Ubuntu and
figured I would stick with it if possible. Can anyone recommend a good
walk-through on setting up a firewall for your home network.

The other box I'm wanting to put together is a NAS/Backup solution for my
home. Again I have an old desktop that I plan on using and figured I would
put on somthing like FreeNAS and use that as place to backup my files. From
the best of my knowledge FreeNAS is a BSD distro, is there a better way to
go using linux. I thought about using the Ubuntu server install and
installing samba and going from there. Any suggestions.

Thanks...