[olug] CentOS / yum users - a little help? Want to upgrade php without MySQL

Travis Owens openbook1441 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 03:46:30 UTC 2007

The source rpms are for you to download the source of the version they
have a binary of. (i.e.   php-5.1.3.rpm -> php-5.1.3.src.rpm   )
When you install this package, it typically goes into
/usr/src/RPMS/src/<pkg name>   (if memory serves me)

The difference between them and the "dev" packages are the amount of
stuff that is installed in a binary rpm/deb doesn't always include the
header files and other libraries that other package would use to
compile options into themselves when building them from source.

HTH,
Travis

On 3/1/07, Ryan Stille <ryan at cfwebtools.com> wrote:

> > The other thing you could do, is that the binary packages (on both DEB
> > and RPM) sides have DEV compliments. Which means, if you don't want to
> > have to custom compile all of the packages you want, you could just
> > choose to download their DEV rpms and then compile only PHP against
> > those source libraries. (depending on your box it should move
> > quick--provide your specs and I'll have a better idea of time-frames)
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> Sorry I read through this part too fast the first time.  Could you
> expand on this a little?  How are the DEV rpms different from a .src.rpm?
>
> -Ryan

Travis Owens

VISTA is just a secret codeword that Microsoft thought up which
actually stands for: Viruses, Intruders, Spy-ware, Trojans & Ad-ware