[olug] Making Ring Tones for Motorola RAZR V3 in linux

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Thu Jun 28 21:10:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 02:44:45PM -0500, Jon Larsen wrote:
> However, putting the file on your phone depends on your carrier.   Yes,
> you can use BitPim (bitpim.org) to put files on your phone.  I find it
> easier to use a micro-sd to copy files over.  This can be done with Alltel
> phones.  A Verizon phone is a different animal, check out the link below.

Yes. Verizon locks down their phones and it generally requires hacking to
get OBEX working with them. However, I can use Bluetooth OBEX on my
Motorola E815 on Alltel. All I have to do is upload a MP3 to it in the
"audio" directory and it shows up on the phone's ring tone list.

I tried BitPim for OS X against it earlier today and didn't have much luck.
About all it would do was show me the phone's ESN, phone number, model, and
version. I couldn't get any syncing working, though OS X's iSync works
against it beautifully. I imagine the RAZR would be pretty similar, since
it is pretty much almost the exact same thing in a smaller form factor.

--
Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at smkelly.org | http://www.smkelly.org