[olug] Which Asterisk?

Jaymz Ringler jringler at unitedtransport.net
Sun Jun 24 02:09:15 UTC 2007

Lane Roberts wrote:
> I can't really speak to that - Trixbox is easy and does what we need it to
> (we were using asterisk at home before)  I can tell you that fonality is
> sponsoring trixbox now, but I have no idea how good/bad their support is.
>
> Ideally, if you have the time and energy, you would install asterisk from
> scratch - that way you know exactly what's going on in that machine and
> you're not relying on FreePBX or other tools to create your configuration.
>
> A good link if you haven't found it already:
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk

I've consulted a few small offices and installed Trixboxes them.   These
offices have 2-6 extensions operate on a couple sip or iax trunks..   it
does everything they need.

The comments about not helping Trixbox users are somewhat true.
There's always going to be elitist snobs who try to look down their
noses.   Take for instance Gentoo die hards..    they think if you don't
build your entire system, you're using "consumer grade" operating
system.   Trixbox has a pretty good forum that is full of people that
willing to help.   Kerry Garrison (founder of Asterisk at home) is one of
them.

Use what works for you...  and don't listen to the idiots that cry
Asterisk purist.      We have a Trixbox in operation in my office only
because our other phone system died..  and we were up and running within
30 minutes with it...   complete dial plan, voice mail, external
extensions.. etc etc etc.    This system handles 15,000 minutes per
month on 12 internal extensions and about 30 external extensions via 4
pstn lines and 4 sip trunks.    It's there because it works.