[olug] NoIP

D. Clough dclough at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:34:16 UTC 2007

When I run a traceroute from my home network to an external location,
I see a "10" class IP after the usual 192.168.x.x.  However, that
doesn't mean that your cable modem doesn't answer to a public IP.  I
have port forwarding set up on my Linksys router and can access my
home computers from my external IP with no troubles.

Also, the whole Geo-IP thing isn't that effective in determining an
IP's geographical location - Most of the time the actual location is
hundreds of miles off-target.  IIRC, it uses the address of the
organization that owns the netblock.

Set up port forwarding on your router and then try accessing that
port/service from an external location.  Qwest's and Cox's cable modem
service may use a similar setup.

-Dan