[olug] Jabber - Think my previous got blocked.

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Sun Jun 10 04:28:03 UTC 2007

At Tue, 05 Jun 07, Unidentified Flying Banana Chris St. Pierre, said:

> Openfire (http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp)
> is the only reasonably sane open-source server I've found, and I've
> mucked around with a bunch of them.  It's Java-based, but that's
> better than some of the others that are written in OCaml or erlang or
> whatever the language-du-jour is.

We recently moved to OpenFire at work, and it does a pretty good job (we
were previously using jabberd, which worked well enough authenticating
against our LDAP server, but had issues authenticating to our
ActiveDirectory infrastructure).

However, I wouldn't go dismissing software based on uncommon languages
so quickly.  You'd be surprised how much shrink-wrapped software is
actually written in 'non-traditional' languages, but compiled to binary
so you never know it (obviously not a majority, but there are a number
of them).  Honestly, I'm not quite sure what the language it's written
in has to do with your decision, provided it doesn't affect your ability
to get it running.

I've been running ejabberd (yes, it's written in Erlang) as my jabber
server for almost three years now, and have been extremely pleased with it.
It meets all of my needs, and both the performance and stability of it
have been absolutely outstanding.  Installation was not difficult,
either (installing the Erlang requirements were not much different than
installing a JVM).

Note that jabber.org migrated to ejabberd a few months back, and have
been greatly praising it.  Considering that they are most likely the
second largest XMPP based provider on the Internet (I'm guessing that
only Google's Google Talk is larger), I'd say that's a pretty impressive
endorsements.