[olug] Experiences with Zabbix?

Jaymz Ringler jringler at unitedtransport.net
Sat Jul 28 19:04:55 UTC 2007

> Is anyone in the group using Zabbix net monitoring?   Comments on Zabbix vs
> Nagios vs OpenNMS?
>
> Dave

I made the move to zabbix almost a year ago.    It's a more complex
setup and configure but it's worth it.

I do have nagios running for temperature monitoring of server room and
the office fridge using 1 wire temp sensors.    I haven't spent the time
to get it working under zabbix.   During that project research and
google searches I found a forum quote that pretty much sums up the
differences well.

<begin quote>

zabbix is soundly great!
we use is it to monitor our 5000+ Linux/Freebsd/Solaris.
With zabbix, you can store nearly all data in your DB, and query it at
any time you
I think nagios pay more attention on the net architecture, while zabbix
is emphasized on OS itself.

to be frank, both zabbix and nagios are not so easy to config, and both
will be OK if you pay much attention.

<end quote>

I agree with the statement above.  Zabbix seems to focus on the
internals of the systems it's monitoring while Nagios seems to have more
of a concern about network presence.