[olug] DNS: dropping to secondary when primary doesn't respond

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 17:45:21 UTC 2007

DNS uses UDP, so the clock starts as soon as the request packet leaves
the requesting computer. If the server doesn't respond in the time
allotted(5 seconds?), then it moves on to step 2. I'm not sure where,
but I think it tries 4 times before calling that DNS server dead and
moving on to the next server.