[olug] User Group and Trademark

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Fri Jul 27 17:26:32 UTC 2007

Following what said earlier:

There are two things most likely needed and a possible third. First is
there needs to be a ? (TM)at every instance of the trademarked name on
the page. Second a disclaimer that the group is not authorized or
affiliated with the corporate entity that produces the software,
reinforcing this is an association of users of the software, and not
representatives of the company or its employees.

The third may simply be asking permission from the company to refer to
them as the software producer that is the interest in the user group.
This may be denied. If that happens, see if one of the healthcare
facilities has an attorney on retainer that could research the legal
questions the software company is claiming for cause of denial.

I suspect that the owner is afraid of losing damage control should a
persistent issue or series of issues that are related to the software
development and support. Other than that, it is the right of people to
discuss products in an open forum, unless proof of disinformation for
anti-competitive purposes is found. Having customers talking to each
other is a great way for the company to find new sales, if the product
is successful fulfilling its intentions and expectations. Of course if
this is not happening and it becomes known in the apparently limited
market it could kill the company

Tom Williamson