[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Jul 20 05:21:47 UTC 2007

http://www.cox.com/policy/limitations.asp is what started this thread.

>>> AUP = Acceptible Use Policy
>>> A policy has no legal binding. Residential Cox has no contract to bind
>>> it, either.
>>>
>> An AUP is used to describe what is acceptable as reference in the TOS.
>>

> Again, Cox claims there is no TOS.
>

>> Not a Cox customer so I don't know if they have a contract or not, but
>> if there is no contract then how can you tell what services you are
>> getting for the money you pay? What ever they give you?
>>

> There's no contract to purchase stuff at retail stores either... I guess it'd
> come down to what you asked for and if you paid the listed price at the
> time...

At a store you are buying goods and the store has a return policy as
well as the manufacturer.

>>> Except they're NOT PROVIDING THE SERVICE THEY CLAIM. If getting rid of
>>> those 5% means the rest only use 200kbit/sec, then your service is
>>> effectively only 200kbit/sec!
>>>
>> If I say I am going to provide service up to 12mbps with a 60GB/month
>> transfer cap and hold the customer to that I am providing EXACTLY THE
>> SERVICE I CLAIM.
>>

> Only if you claim that 60GB/mo cap and don't bury it where nobody will see it.
>

>> You will be hard pressed to find any ISP that does not have language
>> that either does not guarantee a speed or has some sort of monthly
>> transfer limit. If they didn't it wouldn't take much to put them out of
>> business.
>>

> I'd much rather not be guaranteed the speed. Like I said, there's a difference
> between not performing 12mbit all the time and suddenly coming to a halt at a
> 60 GB marker. Basically, I want at least *some* connectivity for a full
> month.

>>> I guess Time Warner is operating their cable internet at a loss, hm?
>>>
>> Are you trying to tell me that Time Warner can provide maximum bandwidth
>> (7Mbps) to each of their customers 24/7/365 on their network? Before you
>> say yes, keep in mind they have 7.3 million subscribers and then think
>> about what it would really take to provide those customers with even
>> 200kbps of bandwidth 24/7/365
>>

> No, but they don't have stupid transfer limits either, nor do they block or
> policy-deny servers. I imagine if every TW customer tried to pull 7mbps 24/7,
> they'd all end up getting closer to 64kbps each, which is an acceptable
> solution to an "up to 7mbit" plan.

So at what point would this not be an acceptable solution? The
difference between the two plans is who is in control of your crappy
connection. If the bit cap method all control is in your hands. If you
don't exceed the bit cap you get your speed.

In the other scenario you have no control over your speed, it is reliant
on the behavior of your neighbors. If everyone on the block starts
running bittorrent 24/7 sharing the latest DVD your connection is going
to suck.

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless