[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Jul 20 05:02:57 UTC 2007

Daniel Linder wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> Sadly, the cost that the basic "rack and pipe" solution was right at the
> break-even point.  Once the hardware was paid for, the recurring cost of
> power, Internet, AC, and salary really made up most of that cost.  When
> you started getting customers who wanted to use the entire 100Mb
> connection 24x7, then you had to raise their cost because they were taking
> up 50% of an OC3.  In 2001, the cost of an OC3 (155Mbit) was over $30,000
> per month!  If that customer wants to pony up $15,000 every month for
> their 100Mb to the Internet I'd let them.  (Sam, if you know more current
> rates for other providers at T1/DS3 rates, I'd be glad to know.)
>
> Dan

My DS3 in Valentine is $3850/mo, that is transport and IP. It is a Qwest
line resold by Bandwidth.com. In Lincoln I can get it for about
$125/mbps wirelessly with as low as a couple of mbps commit. T1s are
still prohibitive in Qwest territory running between $500-$750. I
haven't priced Lincoln T1s recently.

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless