[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Thu Jul 19 05:21:22 UTC 2007

Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2007 17:50, Sam Tetherow wrote:
>
>> No it is exactly what they sold, a connection up to 12mbps with a total
>> transfer cap 60GB/month.
>>

> This is why I was explicitly told at the Cox office that not only were there
> no ports blocked nor any terms of service, but that there were no transfer
> limits and I could max out the 12mbit 24/7... Sure.

The office can tell you anything they want (not that it is good business
practice), but the TOS and AUP are what you agree to when you sign up.

>>> If it degrades the network, then it is the ISP's fault for misconfiguring
>>> things to make that possible.
>>>
>> No, if it degrades the network and it is outside the TOS or AUP. Then it
>> is the customers fault for breaching the contract. If the customer
>> misunderstood the contract it is still the customer who is at fault. To
>> say that the ISP is at fault for not providing service in excess of the
>> contract is a bit over the top.
>>

> AUP = Acceptible Use Policy
> A policy has no legal binding. Residential Cox has no contract to bind it,
> either.

An AUP is used to describe what is acceptable as reference in the TOS.

Not a Cox customer so I don't know if they have a contract or not, but
if there is no contract then how can you tell what services you are
getting for the money you pay? What ever they give you?

>> Honestly, an ISP tries to provide service at the most affordable rate
>> they can. If keeping the top 5% of bandwidth users off of their network
>> saves them 25% on their total bandwidth cost then it will allow them to
>> provide service to the other 95% at a cheaper rate.
>>

> Except they're NOT PROVIDING THE SERVICE THEY CLAIM. If getting rid of those
> 5% means the rest only use 200kbit/sec, then your service is effectively only
> 200kbit/sec!

If I say I am going to provide service up to 12mbps with a 60GB/month
transfer cap and hold the customer to that I am providing EXACTLY THE
SERVICE I CLAIM.

If you want to label the service by total amount transferable per month
divided by the number of seconds in a month you are the one changing the
definition and not to the benefit of the customer.

I couldn't imagine a residential customer being excited about a 200kbps
account that they could use 24/7/365, but I know there a lots of people
that would love to have a 12mbps account that has a 60G soft cap on it.

You will be hard pressed to find any ISP that does not have language
that either does not guarantee a speed or has some sort of monthly
transfer limit. If they didn't it wouldn't take much to put them out of
business.

>> If you want dedicated bandwidth then buy a dedicated connection, if you
>> don't want to spend the money on the dedicated connection then don't
>> complain that you can't get a RollsRoyce for a Yugo price.
>>

> I guess Time Warner is operating their cable internet at a loss, hm?

Are you trying to tell me that Time Warner can provide maximum bandwidth
(7Mbps) to each of their customers 24/7/365 on their network? Before you
say yes, keep in mind they have 7.3 million subscribers and then think
about what it would really take to provide those customers with even
200kbps of bandwidth 24/7/365

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless