[olug] Active bandwidth monitoring

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 01:21:55 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, Christopher Cashell <topher-olug at zyp.org> wrote:

> At Mon, 16 Jul 07, Unidentified Flying Banana Daniel Linder, said:
> > I'm trying to pro-actively monitor the "real world" speed that I'm
> getting
> > with my @Work connection.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1: Has anyone run across a tool like this that is free and will run on
> Linux?
>
> If you have access to remote machines, iperf[0] will likely do the
> trick.  It runs as a client/server setup and allows you to measure
> various bandwidth/performance related statistics between the two hosts.
>
> It runs on most Unix variants, and is open source.
>
> > Dan
>
> [0] http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/
>
> --
> | Christopher

Christopher, thank you for a great link.  I have been looking for a long
time for something to run on a lan to test different branded NIC drivers and
switches.  This should support LAN speeds.  Look forward to trying out
"Advisor" and "JPerf" along with it.

http://dast.nlanr.net/projects/advisor/
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Jperf/

There is also a promising Bandwidth Meter project at Georgia Tech:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Constantinos.Dovrolis/bw.html

SmokePing http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/index.en.html is a project that by
default would not take up much bandwidth.  The ping payload may be
configurable which could possibly be adapted to test bandwidth.  It can also
work with Nagios.