[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Jul 18 19:20:14 UTC 2007

If there already is an alternative to the residential plan (Cox at Work) with
open ports, why would Cox spend the money (training, documentation,
billing, fulfillment) to create another tier of service? Cox would need a
solid business plan for any tier or service plan.

Suppose they do offer a hobbyist flag, would a hobbyist be willing to
make their system available to audits to make sure they are not
sending spam? Remember, the hobbyist is still using their ISP's network
to move data.  As far as I know, they don't do audits on the business
systems. But, I can bet that if something illegal is going on, their
going to work with authorities to get it stopped.  This is where
liability comes in.  Cox would need to extend their liability coverage
over the 'hobbyists' as if they were businesses.  It only takes one sour
grape to ruin it for everyone, in other words a business using the
hobbyist tier to do business.  Could a ebay user consider himself a
hobbyist and host all their ebay images on their home machine and tax the
cox network?  They aren't operating a business, but ebay is their hobby.

The ports were closed for an important reason - security.  Blocking
port 25 prevents zombie boxes from spewing spam or port 80 from being
used for code red type worms.  Not every hobbyist is going to be a ace
security expert who can lock down his/her systems.
What if the machine of a hobbyist is compromised and is spewing spam.
Followed shortly by the entire netblock being put on a rbl list.  The sour
grape analogy again.

I'm not saying a petition shouldn't be created, but any ISP
supporting a network their size would need to take into consideration
the business aspects of an additional tier of service.

I wouldn't mind having the hobbyist flag personally, but I can see where
Cox might consider it impractical.

Jon L.

For reference:
I found the Cox AUP on their website.