[olug] Cox sucks

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 03:40:57 UTC 2007

Sam,

I really appreciate your reply, as it has got me thinking.  To date, I
haven't done my due diligence crunching the financial aspects of such
an implementation, but your comments did get me Google'ing and I'm
beginning to see where some of your figures come from.  Some of the
things I've yet to fathom are the number of mesh nodes it would take,
and how many users each node could serve adequately.  However, like
cell-site deployment, I suppose a population density study would need
to be performed to determine the optimal placement for nodes, etc.

I guess my vision, initially, is to cater to the casual outdoor user
with a laptop/pda/etc sitting in a park, walking down the street, or
sitting outside on a balcony or backyard patio and that this user
desires to do some light web browsing, check e-mail, etc.  I'm not
looking to serve people pipes to facilitate first person shooter
gaming, VOIP, or video streaming.  By no means am I ambitious enough
to use 802.11x as a last-mile technology to serve home users.  If I
were to entertain the idea of a wireless ISP (WISP), I'd look into
WiMAX (802.16).  Of course, that technology isn't cheap and demands
CPE.

-----
"Topology issues would be next on the list as you mentioned mesh which
usually implies connecting multiple APs wirelessly for backhaul so you
further reduce your available bandwidth. Optimal would be a fully routed
network which would mean that data only flows through nodes that it has
to flow through, but this would negate roaming the mesh. If you allow
roaming then you can effectively halve the available bandwidth for each
node wirelessly linked together."
----

Yes and no.  The equipment I'm working with now are dual radio mesh
routers.  The radios are Ubiquiti XTreme Range "carrier class" radios.
 Radio 1 is an 11b radio acting as an Access Point, whilst radio 2 is
an 11a radio acting as a backhaul to other mesh routers.  Of course,
each router also has a wired ethernet port to route traffic over that
link in the event it is connected to a wired LAN to the Internet.  All
together, each mesh router costs around $700.  But if Nicholas
Negroponte can make laptops with mesh-capable wireless interfaces for
$100 (and I recall a company in India is aiming at making a laptop for
$50), I see no reason (even it it boils down to buying in bulk) that
this price couldn't come down substantially.

Each mesh router runs Linux and other open source (free) software to
reduce cost.  One interesting bit of software is OLSR (Optimized Link
State Routing) which runs on each router's 11a interface.  This allows
each mesh node to discover one another, setting up optimal routes to
the Internet.  Nodes without a direct (wired) connection use the 11a
radio to route traffic, while those with a direct connection use the
Ethernet interface.  The thing I like about this technique is that the
network topology is rather flexible, self-healing, and scalable.  If
you have an AP that is being over-loaded by users, or need to expand
coverage, stand up another mesh router in the vicinity of existing
ones.  Of course, a bit of graph theory is needed to ensure that node
failures don't isolate parts of the network.

I'll agree that, in this 2 radio scheme, you will see a 1/N bandwidth
fall off for each wireless hop that is traversed to get to the
Internet.  This is due to the inherent simplex nature of wireless
radio communication.  However, I'd propose a 3 radio solution which
would eliminate this phenomenon and provide full-duplex node-to-node
wireless links.  The author/owner of www.meshdynamics.com has some
good test data backing up my claim.

During my initial 2 radio testing, I've found that 3 wireless hops
provides "adequate" light web browsing, etc.  But 4 or more hops
degrades the bandwidth to a crawl and you start to experience TCP
timeouts, etc.

To sum it all up, I whole-heartedly agree that this is a huge
challenge, but that is what makes it fun to try to solve it.  I guess
I'm angling this concept from a technical (is it possible) perspective
and not the business (is it financially feasible) perspective.  There
are a host of issues (provisioning and deployment, security, quality
of service, etc.) that my project won't endeavor upon, but I still
feel that free outdoor wireless access to the Internet is a novel
concept worth exploring.

Ben