[olug] Active bandwidth monitoring

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jul 18 03:26:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, July 17, 2007 14:57, Luke -Jr wrote:
> Most older stuff would only have 10mbit capabilities anyway, so if you
> want
> Cox's 12mbit stuff, you'd need a new modem just to get past that ethernet
> limitation.

Yup, but I only have the 7Mbps speed.  Either way, I want something a bit
more flexible as a firewall anyway.

> What residential ISP guarantees a speed? Last I checked, they were all "up
> to"

No, you're right.  The @Work service only says "up to", but the are
(suppose to be) more responsive if an @Work customer calls in with a
speed/bandwidth issue over an @Home customer.

Dan

- - - -
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
Juiliett Class Submarine, chosen, M.P.R.I., SSL, SACLANT, CQB, black-bag
RSP, Alouette,executive, Gorizont, Macintosh Internet Security, CIS,
remailers, UHF
NOCS, Fetish, VIP Protection, AHPCRC, nitrate, CISE, subversives