[olug] Active bandwidth monitoring

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Jul 17 19:33:04 UTC 2007

Sam Tetherow wrote:
> Not sure what you are using for a gateway router (if any) but
> something that would handle netflow reporting would provide this type
> of data.

I'm going to replace my ancient firewall/router with a spare Linux
firewall "real soon now".  When I first questioned my Cox speed, I
bypassed this router and my laptop was able to get 3x-4x the speed
bypassing the firewall device.  I knew it was going to be bad, but not
that bad!

Once it get it replaced, I'll see what I can come up with as a passive
monitoring system.  Anyway, if you read the terms of service with any
ISP, it is up to the end user to report any speed discrepancies.  If
they say they are selling me "10Mbps", but I am only able to get 3Mbps
on anything else, then I'll need the documentation to prove it.

Dan

--
- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles "I do not