[olug] Vista is AMAZING!!!!

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 23:28:51 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Sean Kelly <smkelly at zombie.org> wrote:

> I'm very confused here. You seem to be blaming all of this on Vista. I
> assume this based on the Subject of your message and the conclusion of
> your
> e-mail. However, most of the things you outline are in fact not Vista's
> fault, but HP/Compaq's.
>
> See inline for more.
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:12:08PM -0700, Aaron Grothe wrote:
> > Dual Core AMD 3800+ CPU
>
> Not that there is anything wrong with AMD, but why would you go AMD right
> now? The Core 2 Duo creams any offering by AMD right now.
>
> > 1 Gigabyte of Ram
>
> Not a lot, especially for Vista. I even recommend 2GB for OS X.
>
> > o - No install discs, not even the classic system image CDs
>
> Not Vista's fault that your OEM didn't provide them.

Actually the last time i talked to TechData there was a substantial ($29.00)
charge for OEM media. The activation scheme changed by tying the media more
to the machine. Further, it can only be activated 3x even on the same
machine without telephoning microsoft.
.

> o - Pretty straightfoward, except for no parallel printer port or
> > serial ports
>
> There is this crazy thing we have now called USB. The Apple world has
> embraced it. It is about time for these old x86 interfaces to die off. But
> again, not Vista's fault that your specific chunk of hardware doesn't have
> a specific interface port type on it. I'm sure Vista supports them.
>
> > o - After cutting my own system image restore discs, which I can only
> > do ONCE I let Norton activation and the system updates fight it out
> > for a while
>
> Norton activation and system image disks are not Vista. I don't really
> recommend Norton products to anyone, except maybe the Corporate/Enterprise
> versions of AV. All the home products have so much overhead that it is
> insane to run them. Try something like AVG.

Again, this has more to do with MS activation than we realize.

> o - With no apps running I'm already up to 780Mb used!!!
>
> You're talking about memory? If so, understand that Vista uses memory
> differently than you may be used to in the Windows world. Just like in the
> Unix world, Vista now uses all of your memory for caching and
> optimization.
> What you see as used and what are actually active application pages may be
>
> very different.

 RAM set aside for Internet Explorer, ms office, & the .NET Framework to
startup faster.

> o - I fire up Internet explorer to discover that Compaq has sold my
> > toolbar space to Yahoo and anybody else who will pay for it
>
> And you seem to acknowledge that it is Compaq at work here, and not Vista.
>
> > o - With the raw amount of adware/spyware/bloatware on this machine.
> > I'm surprised they aren't able to give it away for free
>
> They can't give it away for free, but it is partly how the OEM has lower
> costs to the end user.
>
> > o - I decide to uninstall some of the software such as AOL and the
> > like.  Guess what they're not in the program listing.  Ha! Ha! Ha!
> > You can delete the Icon, but the love is always going to be there.
> > Unless you use msiinv to work get real access to the underlying
> > packages if they actually used a package
>
> Not Vista.

Since businesses make less of a profit margin on Vista even though it costs
more, microsoft could be indirectly responsible.