[olug] Local purchase support experiences?

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Sat Jan 27 15:14:45 UTC 2007

<quote who="Craig Wolf">
> My customer's/myself have had nothing but piss poor experience's in
> dealing with the Mart Computer warranties/staff.  I will never buy a
> computer product there unless my life depends on it.....and even then I
> will have to think twice.  I will pay more elsewhere just to not purchase
> there.

I have to agree - I rarely purchased anything from Nebraska F'edup mart
for the same reasons, the high prices, and just not liking the place.

> I used to work at Beast Buy and their warranties on computer equipment
> were pretty good, just don't pay for the "in-home" warranty, it is a
> waste, most of the time, as well as too expensive.  BB people are not on
> commission so there is less push on you.  It covers normal wear and tear
> as well as acts of God.  Downside...they will send warranty repairs to KC.
>  Has to be a negative somewhere.

BestBoob? Marginally better than NFM in my experiences. I'll go there if
they have a sale item that is really good deal.

> If Jay has anything, he will take good care of you!  No experience
> anywhere else...

Agreed! Reboot the user = +++++WOULD BUY FROM AGAIN!!!!

> Asus builds quality equipment from what I have seen/used.  They ACTUALLY
> have a new laptop DESIGNED for Vista...pretty cool!  They don't build
> entry level laptops, so keep that in mind...

Drool factor here... And what about Alienware?
http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_all_default.aspx

[snipped]

Other thoughts:
- is the computer fair/swap meet still going on in Omaha? Some good deals
sometimes, sometimes not - some fly by night dealers as well.
- What about Computers to Go in Bellevue?
- mailorder, such as newegg. There are jut not that many good stores that
sell laptops in the LinOma or CB area.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien