[olug] Local purchase support experiences?

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Sat Jan 27 15:02:49 UTC 2007

<quote who="daryl rue">
> Dan,
>
>>From my experience, buy from whoever you want to, just make sure it is a
> good company like hp, dell, etc with a 3 year support warranty.... They
> have
> national support contracts.  There is only so much a local store can do
> about mfr's warranties so I would just go in evaluating and expecting
> warranty service through an 800# and a locally dispatched rep from Unisys
> or
> something.  I have not investigated some of these other mfgrs, but I would
> be scared to buy a laptop off brand.  What if something goes wrong in 2
> years, are you going to have to replace it/ trash it?
>
> Daryl
[snipped]

Do I not recall reading through one of the computer perodicals or Consumer
Reports article not too long ago rating customer service from the major
manufacturers? Might be worth tracking that down to have hard stats
regarding your question.

I have only owned 2 lappys in my time, and neither have needed support -
yet  [crosses fingers].

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien