[olug] Video Card Question

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Jan 26 03:15:36 UTC 2007

I would suggest getting an nvidia card. Anything you can get new will
have dual outputs so you can hook up two monitors.

I would not suggest an ATI card. I just got one for a new abit board I
got and I really wished I would have done more research. It appears that
you cannot use DRI with xinerama using the proprietary driver and you
can't get 3d rendering with the opensource driver (not sure if you can
use DRI and xinerama on the opensource driver either haven't tried yet).
Also using the fglrx (proprietary) driver the cursor is hosed on the
second monitor.

I don't seem to run into these issues with nvidia cards. It uses a
pseudo dri and xinerama support is flawless.

Sam Tetherow