[olug] MAX_LUNS: Caveat about selling Linux for SAN to "the management"

swanpoint at cox.net swanpoint at cox.net
Thu Jan 18 15:05:04 UTC 2007

We have an BL45p (HP AMD blade) connected to an EMC Symmetrix DMX 2000p (if all that matters). RedHat w/ linux-2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp. Emulex cards w/ driver version 8.0.16.27. Problem manifested also w/ QLogic cards.

With Symmetrix there is a lot of disks too be partitioned into a whole lot of LUN. We're using 4 GB and 8 GB sizes for our LUN's; so the numbers increment quickly. There can be 256+ LUN's behind a FA port (on the Symmetrix end). Not all LUN's are mapped to the same server; but, if the LUN index is greater than 255, no good.

Doing a quick and dirty "find . -type f -exec grep -i max_luns {} \;" inside the linux-2.6.19 kernel source gives me the impression that the SAN drivers (Emulex and QLogic) can had more than 255 LUN.

There's a kernel parameter for specifying the max number of lun, but that parameter has no effect (recommended solution for RedHat support is to specify the max lun parameter at boot, too no avail).