[olug] Compaq Presario 5080US

Paul & Debbie Lewis phldml3 at cox.net
Sat Feb 17 15:42:29 UTC 2007

Everyone,
    Thanks for the sage advice on this!  I don't have Ubuntu.  I do have the
Knoppix disks around.  I've got two things I want to try with this machine
so tell me which of the two would work best:  I have weather models written
in Fortran77 that I'd like to get running in the long term and in the short
term I'd also like to "Burn" my LPs to CD.  I'm planning on using Audacity
for the second.  The computer is capable of going to 512 mb, so in the long
term I'll probably do that, but do I only need 256 to get Gnome and/or KDE
running?
     I agree that this machine doesn't run so well with Windoze.  Currently
has ME on it and I can only keep it running for a few minutes before some
software locks it up.  I'm tired of fight to keep older PC running on MS, so
it's time to experiment.  I'll be pulling the modem, I'm running a wired
network so don't need the winmodem.  Should I have the PC connected to the
network when building the new OS?

Thanks in Advance!
Paul