[olug] i have to vent MSKB 909265

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 05:24:45 UTC 2007

I am mad because i was supposed to be at the BrazenHead 3 hours ago
for St. Patrick's Day.  Yes, a little early, but i am trying to turn
over a new life when it comes to promptness.

So our Win2003 server is causing me some worry, so naturally i feel
the urge to backup.  One of these is the system state backup.  It is
failing because the AD db and the log are on different drives  Yes
that is right, the DB and the logfiles are on different drives, so
ntbackup fails.  Putting your database and the logfile for that
database on different drives has always been a "Best Practice".   But
MS broke it and does not appear they will fix it.

MSKB 909265
"When you perform a system state backup on a domain controller that is
running Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1, Backup may fail"