[olug] ipod

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Mon Feb 12 21:52:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 03:42:41PM -0600, Noel Leistad wrote:
> Daughter's iPod plugs in a reports "corrupted".
>
> Windows suggests chkdsk.

Did you try it? Are you using iTunes to sync it? If so, all the music
should already be in iTunes so you might as well just let iTunes format it,
put a new firmware on it, and then push all the music out to it again.

> fsck.vfat reports 1st and 2nd fats differ. then, offers:
> Copy Fat1 to Fat2
> Copy Fat2 to Fat2
> Do nothing.....

I would imagine it would depend on which of them is broken, assuming there
isn't further damage beyond the FAT.

> Any suggestions??

If you have all the media, just reformat and resync it.

> Is this that place where I bring to next month's meeting and it get's
> RockBox??

I tried Rockbox on my Gen4 iPod. While it was pretty neat to see the Linux
boot messages going by on the screen, I must say that it didn't even come
close to the performance and feel of the true iPod firmware.

> It's a Gen3, 15G, model 9640 or is it 9460?? Something like that....

Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at smkelly.org | http://www.smkelly.org