[olug] Linux utilities to unformat / unerase / scavange digital camera flash memory cards?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 20:10:49 UTC 2007

i wonder if ddrescue would be better -- it goes back to sections it could
not read and attempts to reread repeatedly.

The following article documents a script that makes using dd_rescue easier.

http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2004/07/save_your_data_from_the_click.html

However, djlizard recommends ddrescue over dd_rescue (confusing names)
because the retries and backwards file reading are built-in.

#something like the following would attempt to recover the files
#indefinitely, ctrl-c to stop.
ddrescue /dev/sda /mnt/dadscamera.flash /tmp/sda.log -r -1

The RecoveryIsPossible RipLinux has ddrescue and PhotoRec.