[olug] New guy

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Sun Dec 23 17:17:02 UTC 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 9:46 AM, Tim Cavanaugh <timycav03 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody, my name is Tim and I've recently been converted to the world of linux. I'm 21 and work for a home security company, and its not ADT. I'm currently running ubuntu (gusty) on my old laptop and am starting to like it more everyday. The other day i was told about OLUG and decided to check into it so here I am. Only about a week into linux and I've already got tons of questions. The more important to me is how to run Eve. I downloaded the Eve linux client and installed correctly to my knowledge. whenever i try to run  it i get the lines:

Welcome to the list Tim.

> Running /home/timothy/.cedega/.updater/cedega_updater.py
> /home/timothy/.cedega/.updater/gddb.py:26: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module gddb_parser: This Python has API version 1013, module gddb_parser has version 1012.

The mismatch in API versions is python 2.4 vs. 2.5.  Is this a fresh
ubuntu install or did you upgrade from 7.04 or earlier?

While I don't play eve I did find this
http://www.cedega.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8221 , check out the last
post.  Out of all the reports on the 1012/1013 mismatch this is the
one is a common theme in resolving the problem from the google results
I've read.  The problem is with cedega and not eve directly.  It
appears to occur when cedega is looking for an update or trying to
update itself (not clear from comments I've read)  But removing cedega
completely/reinstalling  and then nuking your user profile specific
settings in ~/*.cedega* and  ~/*.transgaming*

--
Jeff Hinrichs
Dundee Media & Technology, Inc
jeffh at dundeemt.com