[olug] Remote sound

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 22:02:20 UTC 2007

depending on your sound hardware, killing the middleman may cut the chain.
some cards revert to a pass-through mode when not powered, but most do not
in my experience.
i wouldn't call it a logistics "nightmare". however, it can get freaky!
i guess you could call it "bus topography sound".
with more than a couple boxes in the chain, you may have a bit of confusion
as to which sound card is putting sound to the bus. customizing your sound
profiles will allow you to discern which computer is talking.

as a side note, i use this method to hook up home stereos into mass
amplification arrays. good for live shows, or pissing off the neighbors.
there's really no black/white limit to how far you can take it. i once had
a 5,000 watt array sourced from my mixing board. that was a lot of fun.