[olug] Debian Sound Problem

Russell Monaghan russellmonaghan at cox.net
Thu Aug 30 13:17:42 UTC 2007

  Ok. ARTS isn't running, and I'm using GNOME. The dd command doesn't
work if GDM is running. I switched to the console and checked alsamixer,
and it showed my sound card and nothing was muted. And it was
controlling the master. So then I tried the dd command, and still
nothing. Then I shutdown GDM, like Shawn suggested, and, magically, if I
dd again I get the static. But if I then run alsaplayer to play an mp3
file, it gives me a *mad_open() failed *error. But now I know that once
GNOME starts up, the /dev/dsp device becomes unavailable. Something
starts up and blocks the sound device.

Russell