[olug] RJ45s

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Fri Aug 24 20:28:01 UTC 2007

Luke -Jr wrote:
> On Friday 24 August 2007, Rob Townley wrote:
>> i have seen this happen when the copper pins are not completely crimped
>> down to be flush with the plastic RJ-45.
>
> Wow, that was it! I guess I just need to build some muscle :p
> now I just need to determine why the wiring doesn't work >_<

Look really closely at the connectors on either end. I bet one of the
wires wasn't pushed in far enough before you crimped. I'd just see which
one looks worse and redo it. Be sure to trim all the wires even once
you've arranged them. Go to a zen state, push in the wires, pray, crimp.
:) I always go through a few connectors after I haven't made an rj45
cable in a few months, it's one of those things that just takes a bit of
skill and practice to get right.

-- Daniel