[olug] email a binary file (uuencode no longer popular?)

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Aug 21 07:13:02 UTC 2007

>> So am I the only dinosaur left that still uses elm as my primary
>> email client?  I just can't bear to stop using vi to compose emails.

For the record, you can configure tbird to spawn a separate program
as its editor, such as "xterm -e vi" or "gvim".  It's just an annoying
hassle to do so.  Part of why I like vi is that it's the path that
requires the fewest keystrokes to compose a message.  Adding extra
mouse overhead to spawn vi seems counterproductive.

> Guess you could call me a green screener, which
> is funny 'cause at one time I actually had an IBM 3151 in my bathroom,
> yes, serially connected...

I still have my old Wyse 50 terminal.  For most of the 1990's, that
Wyse and a 28.8 modem were the only home computer I had.  It still
comes in handy on the odd occasion when I need to get into a machine
which has lost its network card & keyboard for whatever reason.  I
can't say that I've ever typed in my bathroom, though.

> I am also probably the only person I know that
> that uses j and k instead of those silly up and down arrow keys :)

Ben Hollingsworth.  Pleased to meet you.