[olug] Cox's last straw

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 01:09:25 UTC 2007

If you really want to gripe about your ISP, check out www.dslreports.com.

I've found this site handy for troubleshooting my cable modem and
other things.  There are forums for each of the major ISPs throughout
the country, including COX.  There, you can flame all you want about
outages, speeds, prices, blocked ports, etc...  Furthermore, you'll
have no problem finding plenty of people arguing both sides of the
coin.  I also know that several COX techs (at various tiers) monitor
the forums.

However, due to the nature of hybrid fibre-cable (HFC) networks, it is
in the ISPs best interest to limit customers upload
speed/amount/ability even if it means blocking certain popular ports
(25 and 80).  The more upstream traffic you generate, the worse off
everyone else in your neighborhood (or node) is.

Ben