[olug] Debian Sound Problem

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Aug 5 04:21:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, August 4, 2007 16:17, Russell Monaghan wrote:
> Usually, when I try to play
> music, or a program plays a sound, I get a message box that says
> something like 'Cannot open sound server; will continue using null
> output device.'

Looks like "lspci" sees an audio device:
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

And looks like "lsmod" sees some loaded audio drivers:
> snd_intel8x0           30332  2
> snd_ac97_codec         83104  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_ac97_bus            2400  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss            38368  1
> snd_mixer_oss          15200  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                68676  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              20996  1 snd_pcm
> pcspkr                  3072  0
> snd                    47012  8
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore               9248  2 snd
> snd_page_alloc          9640  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> intel_agp              21148  1

Just a few basic questions:
1: I assume by the path you showed us, you have WinXP installed.  Does
sound work under there?  (i.e. things setup right and speakers plugged in
correctly.)
2: Has sound ever worked under this install of Linux on this machine?
3: If it has worked, does it work for a while after rebooting and then
die, or does it work for some programs but not others?

Dan

- - - -
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
Telex, MF, Digicash, BBE, IACIS, 757, codes
sweeping, Geraldton, NIMA, Anonymous, unix, CONUS, SIRC
government, Egret, TDYC, MOIS, NAVWCWPNS, cryptanalysis, Exon Shell