[olug] Cox's last straw

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Sat Aug 4 16:26:31 UTC 2007

On the FreeBSD developer mailing lists, we have a term for threads and
topics like this. We call them "bikesheds." I am hereby declaring this
thread a bikeshed and requesting it be mothballed unless new information is
brought forth that makes a difference. Up to now, this whole subject has
been nothing but continual rehashing of the same thing. We know the problem
exists. There have been suggested approaches to take.

Problems:
 * Cox blocks port 25
 * Some people don't trust Cox for their mail service
 * Discussing the problem with Cox is difficult
 * There is no "hobbyist" tier
 * There is little choice for other broadband service providers

Suggestions:
 * Don't give Cox your money
 * Protest in Atlanta
 * Post to the Cox newsgroups
 * Use Qwest DSL
 * Colo your own server somewhere

Thanks to everyone for their input in this discussion. In the beginning, I
found it interesting. Now, it is just getting grating and repetitive.
Pleae, can we close the books on this one and move on? I'm on this list for
Linux and open source, not for Cox Communications grievances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#BIKESHED-PAINTING

Thanks.

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 01:55:29PM +0000, Luke -Jr wrote:
> On Saturday 04 August 2007 07:42, DYNATRON tech wrote:
> > your most powerful statement is your money.
> > i suggest you spend it elsewhere.
>
> You make it sound like we have a choice.

Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at smkelly.org | http://www.smkelly.org