[olug] Wierd DVD Drive problem with Dual Boot

Joe Gulizia jrguliz at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 14:10:35 UTC 2007

I'm now using Kubuntu 7.04 at work along with Windows
XP.

My DVD-Rom Drive and DVD(plus minus)RW/CD-RW are
recognized and work fine under linux but NOT
XP....they probably worked under XP until I installed
Kubuntu but I'm not sure.

I use the linux side of things for everything except
the following:

1)  Wrting to WebDav (I can read and download in
Kubuntu but not write there).

2)  Video editing (I'm using Pinnacle Studio 10) but
I'm starting to explore the linux side of video
editing as time permits

3)  Watching an mbedded live video stream using
Quicktime...I can watch the downloads in
Kubuntu.....posted earlier.  Not sure if we can find
encoders for OGG-VORBIS and what that might entail
politically with our affiliates.

Would installing Windows XP (I have a legal key) as a
virtual machine be a better solution over dual
booting?

How difficult is that to do?

Joe