[olug] System monitoring

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Sep 10 20:52:41 UTC 2006

On Sat, September 9, 2006 00:30, Bill Brush wrote:
> Typically a VM that you care about has a regular IP address (as in
> non-NAT'ed via the host) and therefore looks like any other machine on
> the network.  We have an extensive VMware setup here and we use nagios
> to monitor all of them.

I think the only gotcha in this case would be trying to monitor the VMWare
ESX server (the one that boots its own OS instead of riding on top of
Windows/Linux).

Depending on what you need to monitor on the host (chassis temp, fan/PS
status, etc), you might be able to retrieve that information via the SNMP
monitoring stack.  I believe VMWare has MIB files for some of their
specialized monitors.

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's grave
to solve all world energy problems." -- /. user GigsVT (208848)
GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68