[olug] To re-install or NOT reinstall?

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Sep 10 20:49:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, September 9, 2006 22:27, Joe Gulizia wrote:
> Running Kubuntu 6.06...can't access cd drives
> successfully...OR external media (hard drives via
> USB).
>
> If I re-install the OS from the CD...can I somehow
> transfer or save my current information on the new OS?
>
> If I go that route....should I have the drives hooked
> in and "ON" when re-installing?

Before resorting to re-installing, try the Kubuntu 6.06 Live-DVD and see
if the USB drives mount in that environment.

Is this the same issue you wrote about earlier this week?  Did my hints
(adding your user to the cdrom group) help?

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's grave
to solve all world energy problems." -- /. user GigsVT (208848)
GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68